Over the past years, GreenGeeks has been known for the reliable and affordable web hosting service. As the company also offers VPS hosting, is this service as good as the shared one?
To get an answer to this question, we have done an in-depth review on GreenGeeks VPS hosting price, features, reliability, speed, technical support, money back guarantee and some other aspects that matter.
Price & Feature
GreenGeeks has 5 VPS hosting packages that can be upgraded or downgraded at any time, depending on the specific needs of the hosted websites. Currently, the price of the packages starts at $39.95/mo for visitors going through the promotional link below.
To get rid of customers' worry of risking large upfront payments, GreenGeeks provides no long-term contract – 1 month only. In addition, the company offers a 30 days money back guarantee which allows customers to ask for a full refund in the first 30 days after they sign up.
GreenGeeks Promotional Link Activation
All of the packages are quite rich-featured, coming with not only a large amount of server resources, but also other technologies and tools that are needed to set up and manage a website easily. The resources included in the packages are as listed in the following table.
|Feature||1 GB||2 GB||3 GB||4 GB||8 GB|
|RAM||1 GB||2 GB||3 GB||4 GB||8 GB|
|CPU||4 Cores||4 Cores||4 Cores||4 Cores||4 Cores|
|Disk Storage||25 GB||50 GB||75 GB||100 GB||125 GB|
|Bandwidth||1,000 GB||1,500 GB||2,000 GB||2,500 GB||3,000 GB|
| ||Sign Up||Sign Up||Sign Up||Sign Up||Sign Up|
Besides the sufficient server resources, GreenGeeks gives all VPS customers the following features to achieve a better user experience.
- SSH & root access. The VPS hosting service from GreenGeeks comes with remote server management with SSH and root access to the operating system, which gives customers full control on their own virtual private servers.
- Full cPanel/WHM license ($425/year value). The cPanel & WHM software package allows webmasters to manage their servers and websites quickly in the easiest way possible.
- RAID 10 disk array. This feature enables VPS users to run their websites not only much faster, but also more securely.
- SSD caching. By offering this feature, GreenGeeks makes sure that customers can always gain blazing-fast page loading and MySQL transaction speed.
- Free eNom reseller account. With an eNom domain reseller account, GreenGeeks VPS users are able to offer their own customers with multiple TLDs.
- Quick provisioning. Unlike some other VPS solutions that require hours or even days to provision, the VPS accounts at GreenGeeks can be up and running in minutes.
- Nightly backups. As backup is an important work to do to prevent data loss caused by unexpected damages, the automatic backups add another layer to the website security.
Uptime & Speed
Since its inception, GreenGeeks has been known for offering reliable web hosting services. For VPS hosting, the company guarantees 99.9% service uptime and utilizes secure data centers with high performance servers running on the latest generation Intel processors to ensure a stable, fast and reliable hosting environment.
According to our monitoring in the past year, GreenGeeks has succeeded in keeping that figure in practice. Read the following chart for the company's uptime in the past 30 days.
Besides good uptime, GreenGeeks also guarantees fast speed for all customers. To speed up the hosted websites, the company has made large investments in data center facility as well as network-related technologies.
At present, the company is using first-rate Juniper edge routers, Cisco switches and BGP4 smart routing technology. Also, it adopts the following technologies and equipment to ensure a fast VPS hosting environment for customers to host business sites. As is known, fast speed is crucial for SEO and user experience, the two factors that are decisive to the success of online businesses.
- Multiple data centers with locations in Chicago and Phoenix in the US and Toronto, CA, which ensures good speed for the entire North America. A new location of Amsterdam, NL will be available in the near future to guarantee the hosting speed for Europe.
- Full SSD storage which speeds up the PHP transactions and databases to be up to 20 times faster.
- Well-tailored Supermicro servers with high performance elements including at least 64 GB DDR3 RAM and the latest generation Intel processors.
- The utilization of CloudFlare CDN which is free for all customers. CDN speeds up websites by distributing the static website content to over 20 data centers around the world. As the content is cached, website visitors can download it from the nearest server so that they do not have to send requests to the original server every time they visit the same page. This saves the bandwidth, too.
The monitored server response speed of GreenGeeks is as following.
As the VPS hosting service offered by GreenGeeks is fully managed, almost all technical issues are operated by the company's dedicated team of technicians. Even if customers get stuck by any problems about their software or websites, they can turn to the support team which is on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
There are several ways for them to contact a support representative, including making a toll-free phone call, starting a live chat directly on the company's official site, and sending an email to the support team. According to our experience of trying all of the 3 ways to seek for assistance, the response speed is quite satisfactory – usually less than 80 seconds for requests via live chat and phone, and 4 hours for those via email.
Due to the natural differences between fully managed and unmanaged virtual servers, GreenGeeks, unlike those providers who are only responsive for the hardware, provides technical support for many technical tasks, including:
- Migrating VPS from another provider for free.
- Configuring the Apache web server with CSF firewall, Mod Security, LFD, etc.
- Optimizing PHP and MySQL for the best possible security.
- Backing up all virtual servers nightly to get customers covered in an unexpected accident.
- Monitoring servers 24x7 and addressing issues that may affect the uptime or speed as soon as possible.
- Taking care of the operating system updates and security patches.
Given the fact that GreenGeeks VPS hosting service is rich-featured, reliable, fast, and comes with responsive support, it should be a right solution for webmasters who want to build and maintain a website with high traffic.